I would like to welcome all of my grade 8 students and parents to a new year at ISM. There have been many questions about schedules, reading, homework, seating arrangements… and much more. I will try to keep you up to date on what we are doing -and when- by using this blog as our prime source of information. Some other key things you should know:
1. My email address is email@example.com. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about our classes or upcoming assignments.
2. This blog should give you updates on the details of our work this year; it is important to check it regularly. To help parents in the Parent Portal, I will designate posts as E (Grade 8 English) H (Honors) or J (Journalism). EH will be a combination of regular and honors English, and these letters will pop up in the title for quick indentification.
3. We will try to be as paperless as possible this year; therefore, many readings will be handed out ‘electronicially’ (as in the case of some of our short stories in the first semester) Student will be able to retrieve readings, asignment sheets and notes from their school googledoc accounts. If you lose a paper handout you can go to your computer and print a new one!
4. Please check your school email address regularly-important information may be sent there!
5. I will have a more detailed schedule for our first quarter’s studies later this week. Just in case you are unsure, we are starting the year looking at Systems with our focus on short story/memoir reading, writing, and structures. There is much more to come.
6. Finally, for parents, I look forward to meeting you at the open house on August 20, 2013.
I am looking forward to a great year.